Rocky, Zabargad & St. Johns
ROCKY, ZABARGAD & ST. JOHNS
DEPARTING FROM Port Ghalib
Experience Level: Blue O Two requires that you are a PADI Open Water diver or equivalent and have logged a minimum of 30 dives for this itinerary. You should be comfortable with drift dives. Currents can be strong. However, to get the most from the trip we suggest you are certified to dive to 30 metres and be PADI Advanced Open Water or equivalent. Please note that night diving and snorkelling is prohibited in the marine park where you will normally spend 2 days of the trip depending on the route. To get the most out of these superb dive sites, many dives will be from a RIB.
Taking in the world-famous marine parks of Rocky and Zabargad, as well as focusing on the stunning reefs of St Johns and Fury Shoal, this itinerary offers divers the chance to dive a wide range of dive sites, allowing you to get away from the crowds.
- Common sightings: Plentiful variety of marine life, stunning reef life
- Reefs: Deep drop-offs, stunning coral gardens and exposed plateaus
- Wrecks: Limited - possibility to dive "The Russian Wreck" at Zabargad Island
- Night dives: Normally either two to three during the week, but not guaranteed
This itinerary departs and returns to Port Ghalib. Please note that ports are subject to change.
- Day 1 - Visit a dive site local to Port Ghalib for a check dive before heading south for your afternoon dive on the way to marine parks.
- Days 2-4 - The next three days will be spent between Rocky and Zabargad Islands and the reefs of St Johns.
- Day 5 - Enjoy a relaxed day of four easy dives at Fury Shoal.
- Day 6 - After an early morning dive at Elphinstone, enjoy a relaxed dive local to Port Ghalib, allowing you to cruise into harbour in the early afternoon. Take advantage of an evening onshore to purchase souvenirs and enjoy Egypt's famous hospitality before your journey home the next day.
Zabargad - The island of Zabargad is an amazing dive spot. It is characterised by an enormous mountain reaching out of the water, surrounded by a lagoon and circling reef. There are a couple of wrecks and a great variety of corals and reef fish.
Rocky Island - Rocky Island hosts a fringing reef that circles the entire perimeter of the island, dropping steeply to astonishing depths. Keep your eyes on the blue for life, but take care as there can be strong currents.
St. Johns - Located on the Tropic of Cancer, this chain of reefs boast stunning dive sites, most of which are very close to each other allowing you to move quickly and easily from one place to another. This adds a lot of variety to your dives; drop-offs, tunnels and stunning hard-coral formations. One of these dives; (St John's Caves or Umm Kharalim) is truly unique and is a photographer's heaven with rays of light filtering through into the beautiful tunnels. The reef formation is not the only thing that will stun you at St John's; the marine life and colours of the soft corals are some of the best in the Red Sea. With any luck, dolphins or pelagics will join you on your dives, placing St John's forever in your heart.
Fury Shoal - This large cluster of reefs offers unforgettable and easy dives. From the northern site of Small Abu Galawa, to its most-southern site of Sataya, Fury Shoal can prove to be surprising and diverse. Each dive site has its own uniqueness; from dolphins, to stunning hard coral formations and not forgetting the two little wrecks "Tug Boat" and the "Yacht".
Elphinstone Reef - A Red Sea legend; a finger shaped reef, with north and south plateaus covered in hard and soft corals. This unpredictable and exciting reef is truly an awesome location where hammerhead sharks are regularly spotted in the summer and oceanic whitetip sharks often congregate in large numbers during late autumn.
Please note: You are expected to be able to complete each dive with your buddy or following the guide. The guides may not enter the water and may remain onboard as surface support for some dives. As with all diving activities, the dive guide has the final decision regarding any divers competency to complete any particular dive. This is a sample itinerary and is subject to change without notice. The itinerary will depend on several factors including, but not limited to, weather, diving ability of guests & the number of other boats already present at the various dive sites.